Research Log Entry
1. What is the main subject of your question?
The holocaust was the main idea.
2. What subject guide or guides did you use to identify the relevant databases for your question?
I felt that the holocaust fits uner many categories, I looked it up under the "history" guide.
For each database you chose:
1. Which database did you choose for your search?
I chose EBSCO Host.
2. What terms did you enter to conduct your search?
At first I entered "Jewish holocaust" but it didn't give me any results so I decided to ekep it broad and go with just "holocaust".
3. How many results did you retrieve?
Only 46 results.
4. N/A
5. Once you got your results to around 100 (or fewer), how did you determine they were meaningful?
I looked for historical names and places in the description. I also looked at the relevance of the title compared to my desired search results.
6. Which article did you choose? Give the bibliographic information for that article (I must be able to access this article).
I chose article #20 Which is titled "LEARNING FROM SURVIVORS: THE YALE TESTIMONY PROJECT." I chose this article because after reading the decription, it caught my eye. This article is about Yale University students conducting interveiws of holocaust survivers. I think it is exactly what I'm looking for. The information is also from a primary source, people who were actually there. The bibliographical information:
Title:
LEARNING FROM SURVIVORS: THE YALE TESTIMONY PROJECT.
Authors:
Hartman, Geoffrey H.
Source:
Holocaust & Genocide Studies 1995 9(2): 192-207 16p.
Historical Period:
1981-94; 1933-45
Subjects:
ArchivesFortunoff Video Archive for Holocaust TestimoniesGenocideJewsPersonal NarrativesWorld War II
Abstract:
The Fortunoff Video Archive for Holocaust Testimonies at Yale University, founded in 1981, is dedicated to recording the experiences of those who survived the Holocaust and others not directly persecuted but who witnessed aspects of the genocide. Consisting of videotapes from England, France, Belgium, Slovakia, Yugoslavia, Israel, Argentina, and the United States, the archive may be one of the largest collections of oral testimony. As of December 1994 the project had gathered approximately 3,300 witness accounts. The 1990's represent the last decade in which those who had a direct knowledge of the events of 1933 to 1945 can be recorded in significant numbers. These video testimonies can play a crucial role in helping to save the imagination from abstraction by transmitting in the form of personal stories the human tragedy caused by the Nazi crimes, whose effects continue to be felt. [J]
Publication Type:
Academic Journal
Document Type:
Article
Language:
English
ISSN:
8756-6583
Entry Number:
47B:6474
Accession Number:
H000406804.01
Persistent link to this record (Permalink):
Database:
Historical Abstracts
7. How did you determine these articles were meaningful?
The form in which the information for the information was gathered made the article meaningful to me.
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Remember, EBSCOHost is a "platform" not a database. If you open up a database on the EBSCOHost platform and click on "choose databases" near the top of the screen, you will see that there are many databases on this platform.
ReplyDeleteToward the end, you list "historical abstracts" which I gather is the database you searched.
Also, where is your second search?